Featured Post

Evening Breakers

 Evening Breakers. I tried to depict the light carving the forms of  the waves in this seascape from Malibu. Watercolor on paper 8 x 16 .

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Danville Weekly Artist Profile

Old Blackhawk View 14 x 21 Private Collection
This is the view of Mount Diablo from the fire trail behind my neighborhood. It is the first view I painted of Mount Diablo (I've painted it a half dozen times)and I still want to paint it again!

The Danville paper has a regular column profiling artists which I hope will raise awareness of how many great artists live and work locally. We seem to have trouble keeping galleries in business in our town. Of course, in this economy it is happening all over.
The setting around the town of Danville appealed to me years ago when I moved here , because there is a ridge line development ordinance intended to preserve the visual integrity of the open space in the hills around town.
I find it wonderful to be able to look up and see open space wherever I go in town.
This article focuses on my philosophy of creating an original style or voice.
For years I did very tightly realistic still lives of flowers which were satisfying as observational and technical exercises but ultimately ran out of steam.
It wasn't until I found the early California Impressionists works that the engine of creativity fueled a body of work, starting with Mount Diablo and moving outward.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.danvilleweekly.com/story.php?story_id=6473

2 comments:

Eric Merrell said...

Hi Robin,
Congratulations, glad to see the article.

Eric

Leslie Hawes said...

Your work continues to enthrall me!