Featured Post

Evening Breakers

 Evening Breakers. I tried to depict the light carving the forms of  the waves in this seascape from Malibu. Watercolor on paper 8 x 16 .

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sonoma Plein Air Day Four to Six

We finally got some sun on Thursday and I got in two very different paintings.


Survivor 12 x 12
I was happy to have sunlight to paint and this gorgeous Eucalyptus caught my eye. I like it when there is one tree left of what you know was  once a windbreak .
A Perfect Day 12 x 16

After another fabulous lunch by Terry ( apricot chicken ) I drove over to Green String Farm where Hylla Evans pointed out the way to a wonderful painting spot beside the pond, and out of the wind. There were egrets, cranes, red-winged black birds , crows( having a discussion about what the heck I was doing)  and sheep baahing in the next field. This is the kind of setting I love to paint in and will be back to paint.

Friday was spent staring at paintings touching them up and framing. Friday night was the gala at Cline Cellars where Dick Cole very deservedly won artists' choice with his masterful watercolor.
Saturday, the rain held off and we had good foot traffic all day. A side benefit of the sale is being able to talk with other artists ,something I don't do often enough. It was especially fun talking with Dick Cole and Micheal Reardon, my fellow Watercolor painters.  My hosts, the Bieneman's were gracious and generous hosts.
If you would like to read about other painters at this event, my fellow bloggers for this event are Terry Miura and Bill Cone
In spite of the weather, it was a great week , in no small part because of the wonderful job done by the volunteers who work on this event year round. Art education in the schools needs all the support we can give it. To find out more about the foundation go  to the Sonoma Plein Air Web Site

4 comments:

Hylla Evans said...

How nice you are, Robin! Don't wait for the next SPA to come back to the farm!

Marian Fortunati said...

Robin,
You know I always love your work.. Glad you had a successful series of events although with the weather, that is a wonder... especially (to me) with watercolor.

Be well...

Robin Purcell said...

Hylla, I will, you know it's on the way to Sonoma State where my daughter goes to school and I am on the newsletter list for Green String farm love the veggies!

Robin Purcell said...

Thanks Marian, are you coming to Northern Cal for any art events this summer? I 'd love to see you!