Featured Post

Evening Breakers

 Evening Breakers. I tried to depict the light carving the forms of  the waves in this seascape from Malibu. Watercolor on paper 8 x 16 .

Saturday, December 14, 2013

November Vines, California Watercolor Landscape Painting

November Vines 13 1/2 x 15 1/2

This started out as an experiment for me, I was waiting for a bicycle event in Sonoma to end and found these two ancient vines next to the road, I was missing fall color in New England so decided to try my hand at these two wild ones.

I liked their wildness and the play of warm and cool reds and burnt oranges.Like painting trees , I concentrated on the gesture and main shapes made by groups of leaves rather than rendering every leaf. The distance away I was sitting helped. It is a luxury to get to paint outside in California where the fall colors are accompanied by temperatures in the 60's.

No comments: